Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Grandpas

Both my Grandpas had birthdays this March. Grandpa Grubbs turned 89 and my Grandpa Carl (my great grandfather) turned 97. We are blessed that they live in Longview and we get to see them so often.

Grandpa Grubbs has lived much longer than any of his male relatives. It's probably due to all that good Mormon living :) Well, I'm sure glad to see him and James and Jade are too (even when he's teasing James - he still loves to be with him). I get to take him around sometimes to places he needs to go, but our favorite stop together is Tuesday Night 99 cent burgers at Sonic. We don't do it every week, but it's so nice to get out with him and just talk.


Grandpa Grubbs in the Coast Guard in 1940's




Grandpa Grubbs Now





Grandpa Carl has a lot of pain, but he's still able to get around with his walker, drive and do a lot on his own. He says if he's supposed to stay here and suffer with his pains he's going to take it with a smile. Jade and I visited him one morning while James was at school and he was happy to have someone there to keep him awake all morning. It's very difficult to grow old and feel your body only able to do less and less as time goes on. I feel particularly sympathetic for Grandpa Carl because he has outlived all three of his children. I can't imagine that. Although his youngest, Missy, died when she was only 4 years old, tears still well up in his eyes when he sees her picture or talks about her. I'm grateful I was given her name as my middle name, Marie. Missy was just her nickname and she was just adorable. When Jade and I were leaving that day he watched her run down the hall and said, "Now that's worth being alive today." It makes me want to plan weekly visits to him so hopefully we can brighten his days more and just spend time with him.


My Great Grandparents - Evelyn & Carl Hane




Their children - Paul (my grandpa), Diane Marie (Missy), & Nancy




Grandpa Carl Now





I love my grandpas so much and miss my Grandpa Hane too.

No comments: