Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Smith Family Reunion

To North Dakota we went!

I had the idea for a Smith Family Reunion (my dad's mother's side of the family) in 2007 when I went with my Granny Hane and James in tow to visit our family there. I've had annual reunions on my mother's side forever and realized a missing link for me in knowing all my aunts, uncles and cousins from my dad's side. My dad hadn't been there since he was a boy or seen most of the family there - almost 40 years ago! So, for my dad, for myself and for the benefit of all my family I decided I must plan a reunion. My original plan was to have it Summer 2009, but alas, I had Jade instead :) I didn't let my dream die, and some may have thought it would never come to pass, but with help from many and lots of planning it came to fruition. I will never regret doing it and I felt the appreciation of my extended family with all their hugs and thanks.
So, we left June 7th for three flights to North Dakota. Jade and James were both with me, but Daddy couldn't make this trip. Maybe next time. Anyway, we flew with Granny Great and Uncle Guy from Shreveport, Louisiana to Atlanta, Georgia to Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota to Fargo, North Dakota. James always wanted to sit with Granny Great or Uncle Guy, but was wanting Mommy before the flight was over. We left Longview at 4am and the kids were wide awake once I put them in the car so needless to say it was a very LOOOONG day. Luckily James had his Leapster Explorer to help out :)



Since the reunion wasn't until the weekend, I took the first few days to visit and try to find more family history. My cousin, Karen was kind enough to guide me to the

Richland County Court House in her mom, Aunt Alyce's car. We were looking for marriage and land records and although we searched through the vault of old records, nothing came up. So, I know my great grandparents were not married in North Dakota as I had been told. That will be something I will investigate a little later on because of my short time there.


I did get to revisit the gravesites of many of my ancestors in Hankinson, ND. I had been there previously, but found more of those I didn't know were related to me until I had done further geneology. The kids enjoyed our romp through the tombstones in the small cemetery. The biggest help for our excursions was my Great Aunt Alyce letting us borrow her car - a 1992 Caprice. Although older, it never gave us any problems and James called it a Corvette! He will learn the difference someday if his dad has anything to do with it.
We also played at the park across the street from the cemetery. The kids really enjoyed the time away from the hotel. James loves hotels, but even he was ready to get out of there and it was such a beautiful park with old and new equipment - my favorite!













Hotel Bath Time












Friday finally arrived with everyone from out of state driving and flying in. The rest from Texas had quite a VERY LONG ordeal and arrived many hours after their original flight. My dad, Noi, Breeze(prego with Kylie), Josh and Olivia finally made it in after midnight. Aunt Joyce's daughter, Sue with her family made their flights fine and Aunt Joyce and Uncle Norm drove in Thursday. Everyone was making it in and it was exciting for me to see the beginnings of why it was so important for me to have the reunion.



Saturday Lunch
The reunion started with lunch and it was great to see everyone getting together, meeting, visiting and really enjoying themselves.





June, Alyce, Joyce & Norm

Olivia, Paul, Noi, Guy, Breeze, Josh, & James


Karen, Sue, Michael, & Andrew

Kelsey, Glen, Whitney, Sue and Sydney

Aunt Nancy, Justin, & Kim



Daryl & Tammy Bergh, David



David & Paulette, Tristan




Dale



Uncle John, Lori & Steve, Hunter, Chris



Kristen, Bill, Logan, Gregg, Carter, Mary Kay, Faye & Dwight


After lunch we all headed out to our grandparents', Vernon & Anna Smith's.  The area is surrounded by water so we didn't have the appropriate attire to get out to it for exploration.  Yet, it was worth the short trip to see where they lived, farmed and raised their family.  Until just a few years ago, this windmill was still standing there, but has since fallen from the elements.  It sure looked like a beautiful place to grow up and raise a family with fresh air and endless blue skies.


Group at the farm:  (Front) Tristan, Randy, McKinley, Tiffany, James, Jade, Sydney, Fayth, Brenna, Kendyl, Kelsey, Sue, Aunt Joyce; (Back) Davey, Paulette (behind Davey's wife), David, Dale, Paul, Anita, Guy, Scott, Sue, Faye, Mary Kay, Dwight, Gregg, Andrew, Michael, Glyn, and Whitney




3 Generations of grandchildren of Vernon & Anna Smith




The slews were full of water so much they looked like ponds and lakes because eventually they're all connected.  My cousins said there are many places where the roads are covered at different times of the year.  They don't have to irrigate their farms and they still have more water than they need.  The soil is so dark and yet it feels dry.  It must be some of the best farming land in the country though.  Karen said the joke is they're trying to take the name of "The Land of 10,000 Lakes" from Minnesota. 




There are very few family farms left, so mostly it's done by large farming companies.  The land is still rich and fertile and we found corn that didn't get planted by the machines right next to us so James and I hiked out in the planted fields


Jade enjoyed the gravel rocks more :)



This is the view across the road.  Wouldn't this scene be awe inspiring every morning to wake up to?



Then we all headed to cousin, Dale's place.  He farms the land his parents, Aunt Alyce and Uncle Herbie had and lives in their home still.  We all enjoyed running around and the kids enjoyed his farming equipment :)





Sunday Morning

We all were going to try to do a memorial at the cemetary where many of our relatives are buried, but alas, the weather beat us and it was just raining too much.  So, we just did our memorial at the Hot Cakes Cafe where we were having breakfast.  The breakfast was such good home-cooked food.  Fabulous!  Then we started the memorial with a song Granny Hane chose, "Amazing Grace."  We had better singers in the group than they would be willing to admit :)  Then, many shared stories of our family that have gone on to remember the importance they are in our lives like Grandpa Vernon and Grandma Anna as well as siblings of Vernon's.  We finished up with family pictures before everyone had to leave, many returning home.


The five children of Vernon & Anna Smith:  Nancy (#5), June (#4), Alyce (#1), Joyce (#2), John (#3)


Nancy & Glyn's Family:  (Front) Kendyl, Glyn, Nancy; (Middle) Kelsey, Fayth, Sue, Brenna, Sydney, Anita; (Back) Scott, Justin, Whitney, Charlie & Kim



Alyce & Herbie's Family:  Dale, McKinley, David, Tristan, Paulette, Karen, and Rick with Aunt Alyce



June & Paul Family:  Olivia, Josh, Breeze, June, Guy, James, Tiffany, and Jade




Cousin Playtime in the Hotel




Olivia is going to make such a great big sister :)



Sunday dinner with Darlene & Jim and their kids




Paulette and David let us follow them out to see their cows and bottle-feed a baby calf.  It was windy, but so much fun for the kids.











Three States of Farming

We didn't plan this, but I ended up having to take the kids to a pharmacy in Minnesota for prescription for pink eye our second day of the trip. So, I thought it's interesting how each of these pictures show the same thing in three states.

North Dakota

Minnesota

South Dakota


It doesn't look much different because it's all the same region, but funny you wouldn't know which state you were in because they all look so similiar.



Our Trek to the Sign
Breeze, Josh and Olivia came with us to hike through tall grass for a picture at the North Dakota sign. It's right in front of the casino at the interstate, but still a good ways for 3 adults (1 pregnant) and 3 little kids. It was all worth it and mighty beautiful too.




James yelled, "NORTH DAKOTA!"  He talked about going to North Dakota to everyone we came across for weeks before the trip.  I think the experience met his expectations because he had a lot of fun and keeps talking about it.



I think I got the best pictures coming on our walk back to the hotel.




The Dakota sky is just magnificent!

James & Josh

Breeze & Olivia

Olivia & Jade

On our way home
This trip was Jade's 1st time to fly in an airplane and she loved it (most of the time). The Ipod toddler games helped out a lot too :)


All in all, it was a wonderful time with family.  I look forward to a trip back in a few more years.  Maybe we'll drive next time so we can visit South Dakota home-sites of our ancestors too.

No comments: